Archdiocese of Karachi

Archdiocese of Karachi, was erected on 20 May 1948 under the Metropolitan Archdiocese of Bombay, India. It was elevated as the Archdiocese of Karachi on 15 July 1950. The seat of the Archdiocese is St. Patrick’s Cathedral. The Christ the King Seminary, the major seminary of the country, is located in the Archdiocese.

St. Patrick's Cathedral, Karachi
St. Patrick’s Cathedral, Karachi

The Archdiocese has contributed to the welfare of the country through its schools, hospitals, orphanages and other institutions.

The Archdiocese has also produced a religious order for women known as the Franciscan Missionaries of Christ the King (FMCK) that founded schools, orphanages, homes for the aged and disabled and hospitals throughout the country and in India and Sri Lanka.

The Archdiocese publishes an Urdu-language weekly newspaper Agahi (knowledge) and an English-language weekly newspaper The Christian Voice, Karachi.

Encouraged by Pope Benedict XVI’s message for the World Day of Social Communications, wherein he affirms that “digital technologies are a gift for humanity that can be useful for spreading solidarity and understanding among people and populations”, the Archdiocese launched a web-based television network Good News TV in February 2009. Father Arthur Charles, the Director Catechetical Center, is the CEO of Good News TV.

Ordinaries:

• James Cornelius van Miltenburg, O.F.M. † (20 May 1948 to 28 Apr 1958)
• Joseph Marie Anthony Cordeiro † (7 May 1958 to 11 Feb 1994)
• Simeon Anthony Pereira † (11 Feb 1994 to 20 Nov 2002)
• Evarist Pinto (5 Jan 2004 to 25 Jan 2012)
• Joseph Coutts (25 Jan 2012 to —-)


Print Friendly, PDF & Email